Glossary and Heart Facts
Autonomic Nervous System
The autonomic nervous system (ANS) is the part of the peripheral nervous system that acts as a control system functioning largely below the level of consciousness, and controls visceral functions. The ANS affects heart rate, digestion, respiratory rate, salivation, perspiration, diameter of the pupils, micturition (urination), and sexual arousal. Whereas most of its actions are involuntary, some, such as breathing, work in tandem with the conscious mind. It is classically divided into two subsystems: the parasympathetic nervous system (PSNS) and sympathetic nervous system (SNS).
Confluence is defined as a flowing together of two or more streams. In the film, the term is used by several speakers in reference to the heart in connection to the brain and the rest of the body. Ronna Prince uses the term in relation to her teaching, the Laws of Confluence. In this context, the term is used to describe a new paradigm beyond the law of attraction. According to the laws of confluence heart-based feeling creates the foundation for a weaving together of lives and creative solutions for living in a connected and empowered way in the world.
Cortisol is a steroid hormone produced in the cortex of the adrenal glands. Cortisol assists you in regulating blood pressure, cardiovascular functions, and your body’s use of fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Cortisol is also involved in glucose metabolism, insulin release for blood sugar maintenance, and inflammatory response. Cortisol helps in responding to and coping with stress, trauma and environmental extremes. Normal levels of cortisol increases energy and metabolism and helps regulate blood pressure.
5-Dehydroepiandrosterone (5-DHEA) is a 19-carbon endogenous steroid hormone. It is the major secretory steroidal product of the adrenal glandsand is also produced by the gonads and the brain. DHEA is the most abundant circulating steroid in humans. DHEA is often taken to slow or reverse the aging process, enhance exercise performance, prevent Alzheimer's disease, improve libido, fight fatigue, enhance health in people with HIV/AIDS, soothe menopausal symptoms, treat erectile dysfunction and stimulate the immune system.
Energy that is propagated by electric and magnetic fields. Matter is not required to transfer of this type of energy known also as radiant energy.
An electromagnetic field (also EMF or EM field) is a physical field produced by moving electrically charged objects. It affects the behavior of charged objects in the vicinity of the field. The electromagnetic field extends indefinitely throughout space and describes the electromagnetic interaction. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.
Heart Coherence, marked by coherent, or smooth and balanced heart rhythms, is the optimal state for your heart, mind and emotions and all of the processes in your body, including cognitive, hormonal, digestive, respiratory and immune systems. (from Institute of HeartMath®)
The best definition and explanation of coherence can be found within a monograph from HeartMath Institute (2003) authored by Rollin McCraty, PhD, which is entitled Physiological Coherence.
"It (coherence) is the harmonious flow of information, cooperation, and order among the subsystems of a larger system that allows for the emergence of more complex functions. This higher-order cooperation among the physical subsystems such as the heart, brain, glands, and organs as well as between the cognitive, emotional, and physical systems is an important aspect of what we call coherence. It is the rhythm of the heart that sets the beat for the entire system. The heart's rhythmic beat influences brain processes that control the autonomic nervous system, cognitive function, and emotions, thus leading us to propose that it is the primary conductor in the system. By changing the rhythm of the heart, system-wide dynamics can be quickly and dramatically changed.
We use the term "coherence" in a broad context to describe more ordered mental and emotional processes as well as more ordered and harmonious interactions among various physiological systems. In this context, "coherence" embraces many other terms that are used to describe specific functional modes, such as synchronization, entrainment, and resonance."
Satori is the title of the board game created by Colin Tipping as part of Radical Forgiveness. Satori means awakening, enlightenment, understanding as well as “seeing into one’s true nature”.
- The average adult heart beats 72 times a minute; 100,000 times a day; 3,600,000 times a year; and 2.5 billion times during an average lifetime
- The fetal heart rate is approximately twice as fast as an adult’s, at about 150 beats per minute. By the time a fetus is 12 weeks old, its heart pumps an amazing 60 pints of blood a day.
- The heart does the most physical work of any muscle during a lifetime. The power output of the heart ranges from 1-5 watts.
- Your body has about 5.6 liters (6 quarts) of blood. This 5.6 liters of blood circulates through the body three times every minute. In one day, the blood travels a total of 19,000 km (12,000 miles)—that's four times the distance across the US from coast to coast.
- The heart pumps about 1 million barrels of blood during an average lifetime—that's enough to fill more than 3 super tankers.
- Because the heart has its own electrical impulse, it can continue to beat even when separated from the body, as long as it has an adequate supply of oxygen.
- The heart’s magnetic component is about 5000 times stronger than the brain’s magnetic field and can be detected several feet away from the body.
- The heart is classified as both a circulatory system organ and an endocrine system organ.
- The heart secretes important hormones to the rest of the body.
- The heart sends more information to the brain than the brain sends to the body through the two vagus nerves. Says Rollin McCraty, “Its’ not even a close call…” see the film for details!